Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Harkening in the Beginning of Fall

Normally I save really unique and innovative stuff for this blog, but I just made a fantastic drink that I feel deserves being shared.  It's nothing flashy or overly complicated but I think it's a great way to get into the mood for Fall.

1 oz Redemption Rye (don't use a 100 proof rye like Rittenhouse, but a substitute is okay)
1 oz Amer Picon
1/2 oz St. Germain
2 dashes angostura bitters
1 cinnamon stick


Stir with ice.  Burn the tip of the cinnamon stick, catching all the smoke in a chilled rocks glass.  Add an ice sphere or large piece of ice.  Pour the drink over the ice and serve.


This is one of the best drinks I've ever made.  Dark chocolate, cinnamon, cardamom, orange, a little pear, and a whole lot of smooth  Sadly, you can't buy all the ingredients on one continent, but oh well.  I'm enjoying the bejeezus out of it right now. I'll worry about remaking it later.

Here's to the changing seasons.

Prosit!

2 comments:

  1. why not use rittenhouse ? do you think it, or an equivalent ABV rye will throw the cocktail off? I ask because rittenhouse is one of my favorite rye's and, while redemption is good, I will almost always choose bulleit or jefferson's at that price point.

    But this sounds great. Going to run and grab some St. Germains tomorrow and try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rittenhouse is always a solid option for a cocktail with rye. Where you would get into trouble (or at least change the flavor profile) is in a higher ABV rye like Rittenhouse 100. Redmeption is my go to for a couple reason. First, I get it way under price through a relative so it's not much more than Rittenhouse. Second, I love the flavor profile. I don't think you'll see that much difference here, though, since it's only 1 oz of rye. In a sazerac or an old fashioned it would obviously show more, though.

    All this being said, I've since remade this drink with High West Redemption Rye and found it to be even better. I have no doubt Bulleit would work well, too. I haven't played as much with Jefferson's so I can't speak to it.

    ReplyDelete